Thursday, July 2, 2009

Space...the Final Fronteer

A few weeks ago we had a chance to be a part of history. Spaceport America broke ground in New Mexico in the middle of June. It is the first establishment of it's kind that has ever been built and it is designed primarily for "tourism". It made sense to build it in New Mexico just because of it's history with space travel. Ever since the UFO incident in Roswell in 1947 we have been fascinated with space. But real space tourism has been researched since the 1930's by Robert Goddard. The whole thing was very cool to witness. I wondered how long it was going to be until we would be able to go to space for a vacation, how much it would cost, and would I still feel queasy while leaving the orbit of the planet. The other thought that I had was a memory of meeting a woman while working at the hotel many years ago. As most of you know when you check into a hotel you will be asked for your license plate number. The woman in this particular incident was about 80 years old and was happy to give me the plate number but she happened to mention that she remembered when nobody had a car and how exciting it was when her family got their first car. I remember wondering to myself what I would remember when I am 80. What kinds of advances have been made in just the 30 years that I have been alive and what else will they come up with. Being a part of this huge event in history gave me that feeling again. Will your kids go into space for a school trip or spend their honeymoon on Mars? You never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment